Sunday, 8 May 2011

Water for Elephants Review - **Spoilers**

Right, remember, I'm not a English literature major or a professional film critic, just a regular movie-goer, so I call it as I see it...  and these are my opinions, so no saying I'm wrong! LOL!


First let me start by saying that this has to be one of the most beautiful movies ever shot. Secondly, it MUST be a great film, because I wasn't ONLY looking at Rob the whole way through it!!

Sara Gruen must be immensely happy with the book-to-screen adaptation of her novel - first of all, it brings her story to life so wonderfully, and also, unlike so many screenplays we see nowadays, the film sticks to the story of the book almost to the letter. Obviously it omits certain elements that are not wholly essential to the story-telling, such as old Jacob's time in the care home, although I do admit, it would have been lovely to see that. But then there was the omission of the explanation of the title of the book, which was a bit of a shame and made movie-Jacob look a little bit dumb for a moment, when his eyes lit up at the mention of being employed to "carry water for the elephants".

Rob's performance in this movie was a huge step away (in a good way) from everything he's done before - for me at any rate. If nothing else, it was great to see him looking tanned, and being able to show genuine emotions again (it seems way too long since Remember Me) added to which, he wasn't kidding in all those interviews. He really DOES suit 1930's clothes. (I seem to recall a certain shot where the camera pans out on him walking down the road just after he has left his abandoned house, but the shot starts on his ass and that's all I remember......!)

I do think he needs to take on a role where he doesn't keep getting the ever-loving crap beaten out of him though! 

I love Reese Witherspoon in pretty much everything she does, and this wasn't any exception... the thing I found sadly lacking was any on-screen chemistry between the two Rs. Their first illicit kiss was less than enthralling - not that I was expecting a full on tongue-twisting snog, this is the '30s after all, but SOMETHING?!?! - and the love scene... meh. I've definitely seen better. I think the sound editing didn't really help. The quiet music with the sounds of their lovemaking just barely audible as well. I felt a little uncomfortable. In fact, the only time I thought they seemed to have ANY chemistry at all was when they were being coerced by August - the scene which ironically made for a rather amazing movie poster. 


Now, Christoph Waltz was perfect. I haven't seen him in anything else, so I don't know how it came about that he won his Oscar, but I'll bet he deserved it! His role of schizophrenic, lovesick ringmaster was played to a tee - he was exactly how I imagined August as I read the book. Absolutely brilliant.


But of course, the real star of the show was Tai. That elephant was amazing. I think I smiled every time she was on the screen - except any time she was being beaten to a pulp with a bull hook. Gah, that looked too realistic, it was heartbreaking. But even after that she looked as if she was in pain and was hurt. What an actress. No wonder every actor that has worked with her fell in love with her!


I'm sure I have more to say about this movie, but to round up for now, I would definitely give it 5 stars. I've seen it twice, and would see it more if I had the time and money. For now I will have to sit and impatiently wait the months out for Blu-Ray!!

An amazing cast, both main and supporting (animals included of course!), beautiful locations and scenery, wonderful costumes (luckily it wasn't like my dream where I went to see it and then walked out and complained because everyone was dressed in 1960s get-up!!) and a story to die for.

Overall, just perfect apart from that the lovers didn't seem like lovers. But I'm willing to overlook that because of the elephant!

Highlights
Rob speaking Polish - GAH! This may have killed me.
Tai the elephant.
Christoph Waltz's performance.
Costumes - particularly on Rob.

1 comment:

  1. This may come a shock, but I agree with every single thing you said =P LOL! Really, it's incredible and I can't wait to see it again!

    ReplyDelete